A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

7th Inning Stretch

As I've said before, I'm a selfish knitter. That being said, I do feel some inner responsibility (?) to knit for my family for the holidays.  To protect myself (and them) I ask them a. if they want something hand knit and b. what do they want.  I don't believe in knitting for them if they don't want something.

This year, four out the five said yes. They all know what they are getting, including what color: Super Cupcake, socks, and dorm slippers (yes, one is missing - that one actually is a total surprise, so mums the work). You may fee this all lacks the element of surprise, call it self preservation.  The finished item will be the surprise.

I had just finished the first holiday gift when Thing #1, who had initially declined a gift, saw something and asked if I could emulate it.  Of course I said yes. I actually had yarn in the shop that she approved and got the "go ahead".

At this point I have finished three out of the five gifts. I AM BORED.  I need something to cleanse my palette.  The knitting equivalent of the 7th inning stretch.

I was all set to knit the Hitchhiker.  I had the yarn and the pattern.

Then while at work last week, I was cold.  Not cold enough for a sweater, but a vest.  Luckily I work in an environment full of clothing options. 


I put on this vestish garment.  Now, I must admit that this garment never called out to me before trying it on.  I loved how it looked because it was knit with Noro Silk Garden and I'm a sucker for Noro.


The pattern is 'Joanquil' Ladies' Diagonal Lace Top. It's really cute on.  I wore it like it's pictured, over a long sleeve t-shirt.  It didn't help that I had my eye on one particular color of Silk Garden.  I had bought one skein to satisfy my Noro obsession.  So I needed 4 more to make the garment.  What's a girl gonna do?


I dutifully swatched; Silk Garden (Aran: 45% Mohair, 45% Silk, 10% Wool, 110 yards).


Then knit the back while Joe watched football. I was completely satisfied. I plan on finishing this and then resuming holiday knitting having scratch this itch.  (How many cliches can I fit in one post?  The answer... many.)

No comments: