A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Monday, August 17, 2015

Just call me the 11th hour knitter

Thing #2  stopped by to see me at the shop and wanted to make a date. Otherwise known as "take me, bring me, buy me".  I know I'm being a little harsh. In her defense, she's worked hard all summer and wants to spend time together before going back to school. At an age when kids often want no part of their parents, I'm happy she likes me. Today.

We decided to get pedicures together. While catching up, we had the following conversation:

Me: "Do you want a knitted something for Hanukkah or are you knitted out? (Foolishly thinking I'd be ahead of the holiday game.)  Oh, wait! You wanted a sock monkey. You can pick the yarn."
Her: Eyes wide, "I want that for school."
Me: Eyes wider, "ok (thinking, great, I'll make that for Hanukkah)."
Her: "I want that for starting school, I told you that"
Me: Eyes wider still with a sinking feeling in my stomach. Silence.

 She leaves for school in 10 days.


So there you have it, with design projects and sample knitting lining up like planes at a busy airport, I will be making a sock monkey in week's time.

All those expressions come to mind:
"The 11th hour"
"Best laid plans of mice and men often go awry."
"We Plan, God Laughs."

I'm sure I could find more, but you get my drift.  Also, who has time to surf the web for quotes when there is a sock monkey to make?
.
58b_small2

1 comment:

Mom said...

Didn't I teach you, never ask a question if you might not like the answer.
Love, Mom