A virtual gathering of people sharing their knitting, books, thoughts, and random threads of conversation!

Live ~ Laugh ~ Knit

Monday, November 9, 2015

Accessory Challenge

Now that we are past the (final?) Indian Summer heat wave, I'm throwing down the gauntlet, literally and philosophically.

Gauntlet | Definition of gauntlet by Merriam-Webster

1. : a glove worn with medieval armor to protect the hand. 2. : any of various protective gloves used especially in industry. 3. : an open challenge —used in phrases like throw down the gauntlet.

As I retrieved my (hand knit) woolly accessories from storage I was struck by just how many I have made.  


First I tossed them all on the bed. I bet you expected to see a sea of purple.  Not so.


Then I sorted them by type: cowl, infinity scarf, wrap, shawl, etc.

Here is the tally (which changes daily as I find other accessories stashed in other places):
12 Infinity scarves
16 regular scarves
2 rectangular wraps
5 hats
9 triangular shawls/scarves
5 Rasta cowls
19 (more) cowls
12 ponchos/capelets
5 pairs of fingerless gloves

I've decided to challenge myself.  I will wear a different accessory everyday. At some point I'll be left with a "yes" pile and a "no" pile. The accessories that I habitually do not choose to wear will be donated or given away.

Everyday I wear an accessory I will post it on my Instagram and Facebook pages. Please like/follow me on those pages to see how this plays out.

Feel free to launch your own challenge. Use the hashtag #knitaccessorychallenge

Let the game begin.

No comments: